There are currently no horsepower restrictions on power boats or jet skies on the Lake.
Lake Gaston is still uncrowded, with only about 60% of the waterfront lots having homes. The existing homes are about 60% vacation or second homes with the remaining 40% being retirement homes. Virtually all of the homes are single family residences with only a very few condominiums and townhouses sprinkled in.
The Lake is very small town friendly as virtually everyone living on it is from out of town or out of state. Fishing is excellent, and either a North Carolina or a Virginia fishing license is good on the entire Lake.
Several marinas which sell gas, repair boats, and rent boats are on Lake Gaston. We also have a Food Lion, several restaurants, a video rental store, and 5 golf courses within a half an hours drive. Numerous churches surround the Lake, there are plenty of civic and volunteer organizations, and our local theater group puts on really good plays at Lakeland Cultural Arts Center.
Both Richmond and Raleigh are each about and hour and 45 minutes away. The Raleigh Durham Airport is particularly good.
The average waterfront lot is probably a little over half an acre with about 110 feet of waterfront. The water level of the Lake varies only about 1 foot plus or minus under normal conditions, so we have fixed docks and leave our boats in our boathouses year round.
In general, Lake Gaston has a semi-rural feeling – safe, small town friendly, uncrowded - which will probably remind you of the 1950’s.
Now on to "Lake Gaston Activities".